Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:56:37 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick question about getopt

In message <199609282137.OAA19084@lestat.nas.nasa.gov> Jason Thorpe writes:
:      The getopt() function was once specified to return EOF instead of -1.
:      This was changed by IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') to decouple
:      getopt() from <stdio.h>.

OK.  That's useful to know.  Thanks for the info.

Given the standards reference, should FreeBSD[*] change getopt to return
-1 rather than EOF?  I'm inclidned to say yes.  However, there are
likely reasons for not doing this.

Comments?

Warner

[*] If the answer is "yes" then I'll volunteer to make the changes to
the tree that are needed.