Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 11:38:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Server <server@csee.usf.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help Installing FreeBSD 2.0

Hello,

  I just purchased a FreeBSD 2.0 CDROM from a store, and am having
problems installing...  Specifically, I cannot seem to get FreeBSD to
boot from my second IDE drive. I install the boot manager on my master
drive, go through the partitioning process for the slave drive: 200 megs for
DOS, 200 megs for FreeBSD (I make the BSD partition bootable), make the
assignments for /root and /swap, and procede.  Upon reboot, boot manager
asks for F1 for DOS or F5 for drive 2.  I select drive 2.  A submenu
comes up asking for DOS, FreeBSD, or Drive 1.  I of course select BSD,
where I then get the boot prompt.  I type in "wd(1,a)/kernel" as prompted
in the instructions, to boot off the second drive, but the system
freezes... (The little spinning character doesn't even move)  No disk
activity.  What shall I do?

My hardware:

AMD DX4-120
SIS471 based motherboard
Diamond Stealth 32 (I'm gunna have fun getting X setup, aren't I)
8 megs o RAM
Quantum FireBall 1080A - master
Western Digital 420 - slave
Promise 2300+