Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:19:42 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        icon <icon@nextfrontier.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msdos/winnt4.0

On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 10:25:30PM +0100, icon wrote:
> Hi guys -
> I'm running msdos 6.22 and windows NT 4.0 on my pc at home. occasionally
> I login to my freebsd server and instead of using telnet I'd like to be
> able to use Xwindows that comes on the walnut creek freebsd 2.2.2 cdrom.
>
> My question is - is it possible to install freebsd on my home pc without
> screwing up my life?

That depends on your commitment to Microsoft :-)

> I just am nervous that trying to install FreeBSD on a partition will
> screw up my NT settings or who knows what. When it comes to having faith
> that NT will work without tripping over any changes I make, HAH!
> I've have absolutely gotten sick to death of having to completely
> reinstall and reconfigure windows (any version - as they are all quirky)
> over and over everytime it burps. One of these days I'd like to get rid
> of all Microsoft Products on my PC's - but many programs I have to work
> with for my job only work under MS windows.
>
> I'm currently running DOS6.22 and Windows NT 4.0 and all files are FAT.
> I've got a Cyrix 686-166+ on a Tyan motherboard with 32 meg edo memory.
> A 2.5 gig quantum bigfoot hard drive with an ATI 3D RAGE II video card.

You'll need a separate partition for FreeBSD.  If your Microsoft
products work on the other partitions before the installation, FreeBSD
will not touch them, so they should still work after the installation.
The only possible problem would be the boot manager, but possibly it
would work with the one you currently have installed.

Greg