Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:27:49 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet -- what am I doing wrong?

>     Most network cards must DMA into main memory -- card-to-card transfers
>     cannot be done.  So routing a single packet requires the data to flow
>     over the PCI bus twice.  The 132 MBytes/sec become 66 MBytes/sec right
>     off the bat.

I am not sure that I can follow you here . Most PCI cards which are capable of
doing dma to the host system's memory can do card - to - card transfer
;however,
the target "card" most be able to use the stored data in the case of a network
card it must have memory to receive the pack or a very elaborate protocol
to accept short dma bursts which it can then process.

	Amancio