Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:33:42 -0500
From:      "Thaddeus J. Quintin" <quintin@ohio.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Installing new versions of GCC

Wow, Thanks for all of the responses.

First off, that was a typo in my original email.

I was running make in /usr/ports/lang/gcc32.

Now, I tried a few things.  I ran 'make clean' to start over, 'make',
'make deinstall', and then 'make install'.

When that's done, I end up with gcc32 (and g++32, etc) in
/usr/local/bin.

So, THAT appears to be working alright.  However, the original gcc
(etc.) remain in /usr/bin.

It doesn't seem right that I should need to delete all of the old
compilers and create links, but perhaps that's what I need to do.

Any advice now that I have this new perspective?

Thaddeus