Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the wb driver broken?

Bill Paul wrote:

>> OK, I did that and it made the SIOCSIFMEDIA message go away.  But
>> now it's not showing carrier:
>>
>> Doing initial network setup: hostname domain.
>> wb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>>         inet 204.216.27.25 netmask 0xfffffff0 broadcast 204.216.27.31
>>         ether 00:00:e8:18:5b:1d
>>         media: 100baseTX status: no carrier
>>         supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP none
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>
> Is there any reason why you're not letting it autodetect (which is
> what it does by default, or with media autoselect).

I inherited an /etc/rc.conf file that somebody else set up.  I'll
try letting it autodetect and see what happens.

But ... after I sent off that last mail, it acquired the carrier
after a small delay.  I don't know why it didn't see it at first.

> Make sure it's plugged in, make sure the link light is lit.

Er, I happen to be 1000 miles away from the link light.  Maybe if I
squint real hard ... :-)

Thanks for the help.  I seem to be over the hump on the wb interface
anyway.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron