Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:46:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charlie Benton <bentonc@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing from a DOS partition.

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Charlie Benton wrote:

> I have tryed several times to download FreeBSD using the installation
> program's ftp facility but the connection always breaks.  Since this ftp
> program does not pick up where it left off I am not getting very far.

This is why the files are split into bite-size chunks, so if the xfer
fails you don't have to refetch everything.  Ie, if you are doing 'get
2.1.6-RELEASE.tar.gz', don't.

> am wanting to do a XUser installation by FTPing the neccessary files to
> my PC in peices and then installing from the DOS partition.  What files
> do I need to download from your FTP site?  I've also thought about doing
> a minimal install and then downloading the other components later but
> again I do not know what files I would need to equavilate an XUser
> installion.  I am eventually going to want the development files too.

XUser probably includes bin, manpages, info, src/ssys, and basic X - bin,
cfg, lib, doc, man, and an X server.  I think :)

You might try a custom install, it gives you better control over what's
installed so you can tailor it to what you don't have.