Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:35:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Bartosz Fabianowski" <freebsd@chillt.de>
Cc:        obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Instant reboots with CPUTYPE=pentium-m

Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
>> I use the athlon-xp switch on 3 boxes with no problems all of them
>> running 5.3
>
> What CFLAGS are you using? I have CFLAGS=-O -pipe in my make.conf. Maybe
> you have optimization turned off and that's making a difference?

I reported the problem with the athlon-xp.  My /etc/make.conf looks like
the following (when I wish to kill the loader and experience instant
reboots, that is ;-):

CPUTYPE?= athlon-xp
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

Note that I only see the problem when building the loader as part of a
buildworld.  Compiling just the boot stuff in /usr/src/sys/boot/ (i.e.,
without a bootstrapped gcc) results in a loader that works fine.  Thus, I
think defining CPUTYPE results in a gcc that produces a bad loader.

Jon