Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:16:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   When to transition to 3.0-STABLE..  NOT NOW!

If you're running 3.0-RELEASE or 2.2.x-SOMETHING and you're thinking
of upgrading to 3.0-STABLE at this time, I thought I would just send a
quick heads-up which says simply: "Don't!"

Please wait until at least mid-February, when the release engineering
and general tree repair work for 3.1-RELEASE has been mostly completed
and all the sharpest edges have been filed off.  This work has to
happen anyway for 3.1 and it will make the transition process MUCH
easier, so please...  Wait!  Don't jump in now just because we
recently branched and you see a new -stable, wait until the early
bleeders have finished finding the sharp edges in the upgrade process
and we've had a chance to child-safe the whole thing a bit.

Folks who've been tracking 3.0 all along and went to ELF everything
months or weeks ago are fine and should keep right on tracking
3.0-stable, it's just that for the rather NEW situation where we have
people switching binary formats as they jump -stable tracks, we're not
quite prepared yet.  This is a very different upgrade than previous
ones and we need time to make the "upgrade" target actually work in a
reasonable number of cases.  What works great for 3.0-RELEASE might
not at all for 2.2-stable and vice-versa, so it's not as easy as it
looks.

By mid-February, those running 2.2-S will be more encouraged to take
the plunge since they'll have both a working source upgrade target AND
a working SNAPshot or two to do binary upgrades with.  We haven't even
had the SNAPshots happening reliably since we branched and anyone who
jumps in right now and doesn't also have the time to necessarily
wrestle with a very green process simply does so at their own peril.

You have been warned!

- Jordan