Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 22:10:30 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        higgins@lexmark.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Login as root

On Tuesday August 1997, higgins@lexmark.com <higgins@lexmark.com>
 had this to say about "Re: Login as root":

> Hello,
>
> I have FreeBSB 2.2.2 and want to configure it to let me login as root from
> another machine using TCP/IP and telnet.
>
> I know that on many UNIX systems you have to change system files to allow
> any other station apart from the console to login as root and this seems to
> be the same with FreeBSD.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!! DO NOT *ever* telnet to a system and login as
root.  That's why  the "su" program (or better yet get sudo from the
ports) exists.  Install a copy of ssh/sshd so that when you do
connect to the remote system and su/sudo to root, your password (and
all traffic between you and the remote machine) is encrypted...otherwise
you are BEGGING to be hacked.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net