Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:17:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      nsj@ncsu.edu (Nate Johnson)
To:        GERAGHTYD@mail.dec.com (Dewayne Geraghty)
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ref: http://www2.au.freebsd.org/releases/

%     Release 2.1.7 RELEASE (February 20, 1997) Announcement : Release
%Notes. This latest release from our FreeBSD-stable branch is also
%available. Please see Getting FreeBSD for details.
%     Release 2.2.2 RELEASE (May, 1997) Release Notes : Errata List. This
%latest release from our  FreeBSD-stable branch is also available. Please
%see Getting FreeBSD for details.

It's not 100% accurate: the different branches should also have version numbers
specified, as per the following snippet from the web page.  I'll take care of
those edits soon.

--From: http://www.freebsd.org/branch.html on 04 November 1996:--------------
FreeBSD's development stream has, as of today, branched into the 2.2-RELEASE
and 3.0-CURRENT development streams. The 2.1-STABLE branch is also still alive,
though now in maintenance mode after the release of FreeBSD-2.1.7.

This branch has occurred so that 2.2 may be readied for release without
impacting significant new developments, like SMP support, in the mainstream
-current branch.

Modulo any of our usual two-week slips here and there, here is our release
schedule for 97:

February 1997

     FreeBSD 2.1.7-RELEASE

     End of 2.1-STABLE branch.

March 1997

     FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE

     Beginning of 2.2-STABLE.

Late Spring 1997

     FreeBSD 2.2.x-RELEASE

     Bugfix release for 2.2R along 2.2-STABLE branch.

Thanks for the report!

Cheers,
nsj