Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:15:53 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "prabhpal@digital-infotech.net" <prabhpal@digital-infotech.net>
Cc:        "centos@centos.org" <centos@centos.org>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Alert When Hardware Changes !

On Oct 5, 2012, at 7:23 AM, "Shiv. Nath" <prabhpal@digital-infotech.net> wro=
te:

>=20
> Dear Friends of List,
>=20
> Well, i understand perhaps someone will think if it is correct please to
> ask this question here. But i did not find the better place than here.
> Here is community of technical people and the question is technical as
> well.
>=20
> Question:
>=20
> Is anyone aware of such program (software) that can alert me when hardware=

> changes? i.e. lets say i will monitor the hardware for a computer/server
> using a program (i.e. Zabbix / Nagios) may be different program. Can i
> receive the alert when hard disk for the computer has been changed?
>=20
> Any software anyone aware of?
>=20
>=20
> _____________________________

You could use dmidecode in a nagios check to get some data like that. For ex=
ample when a memory module fails , CPU speed , number of CPUs , number of me=
mory modules ; but it's quite hardware vendor specific . As for hard drives y=
ou would need to check if the box has a raid controller and some vendor spec=
ific way to probe it . For example I use cciss_vol_status in both FreeBSD an=
d Linux to monitor hp raid array health in a nagios check and it works well .=
  For generic non raid controllers , Sata, IDE , scsi you can try using smar=
tutils to monitor disk health . Other then that; if it's just a check to sho=
w if diskX is installed you could have a nagios check looking for the entry i=
n /dev . Both modern FreeBSD and Linux use a devfs/udev system and add and r=
emove entries in /dev when the device is attached or not .

Hope that helps

----
Mark saad | mark.saad@longcount.org