Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:52:05 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Charles Green <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm86

On Aug 08, 1997 at 05:25:16PM +0000, Charles Green wrote:
>         I remember a few months back someone wrote in and said that he was
> working on adding vm86 to the freebsd kernel. Has this project fissled out or
> has other projects taken priority?

That was me... I've been working on it on and off, but haven't really
spent too much time on it.

The current status is:

	- Interrupt handling for doscmd is better.
	- vm86 now has vme support.
	- access to the full I/O space from a user process.

I did start a port of Linux's dosemu, but have been so revolted at their
tangled makefile setup, that I haven't gotten very far.  There are also some
additional issues of what to pass back forth on the stack that I haven't
bothered to address (yet).

I have a version of vm86 for -current that I can polish up and submit in
the next week if there is interest.  This is be slightly different than
the version on the 2.2.2 cdrom, due to the relocation of the user pages.

I could also retrofit some of the patches back into 2.2.2, if there is
any chnance that they would be accepted into the tree.  The only thing
that would not be possible under 2.2.2 is the iospace support, as that
depends on the u-page change in -current.
--
Jonathan