Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:37:10 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012084631.75c1d1@mired.org>
To:        Sir <postroad@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The tower of Hanoi

Sir <postroad@mediaone.net> types:
> Sir wrote:
> > I was following a thread  in the freebsd mailing list that you replied
> > on.  Seems like you have some experience with "dump". A read of the man
> > pages has a realy baffling bit about the tower of hanoi algorithm. It
> > says incrementals should be taken on a daily basis 3 2 5 4 7 6 9 8 9
> > 9.... It then goes on to say that a weekly should be taken with level
> > 1.  Well, there's more than 7 levels there so I'm not sure how it all
> > fits together. It reads like they should be done all in the same day?? I
> > was under the impression you shouldn't "dump" a disk unles it's
> > umount'd. And, for us real newbies, how do you un-dump??

As Crist Clark explained, it's designed to balance the amount of data
on the disk with the number of steps you need to restore. I've never
seen anyone actually use this strategy.

The only safe way to dump a file system is when it's static, meaning
either unmounted or mounted read-only. Otherwise, you may wind up with
a file that's not dumped, or dumped in an inconsistent state.

The real danger here is if some daily process is done in sync with
your backups, so that the data it produces is *never* properly written
to a tape. To avoid that, run all your critical processes and the
daily dump with the same invocation of periodic.

> Just as an after-thought, ever seen a "bad sblock magic number" before??

Yes. It means your superblock has been written to by something that
didn't know what it was doing.

	<mike