Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:32:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@yarmouth.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: baudrate on serial port?

> All tty settings return to their initial/lock state after the port is
> closed.  When you do stty -f /dev/cuaa1 57600, stty will open the
> port, set the bps rate, and then close the port.  When the port
> closes, it goes back to 9600.

D'oh!  That hurts!  Anyway...what I've been using to talk to the modem is
the interactive mode of iijppp.  What I've been finding is that I keep
connecting at either 9600 if I set the speed to 14400, and I connect at
14400 if I set it much faster...up to and including 57600.

The difference being once I establish communications at 14400, the modem
connection seems to "hang".  (Not "hang up", just "hang".)

Anyway, I need to go work out what's going on in rc.serial.  I've spent
some cursory time there and I've got to dig some more, parts of it just
don't make sense to me yet.  I think the sio man page is probably another
place to visit.

And then again, it could be my modem.  I'm utterly convinced that all
modems are the work of Satan. :-)

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.  I need to RTFM some more and I'll
report back when I figure my problem out.

Regards,

Brian
handy@sag.space.lockheed.com