Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:00:32 +0000
From:      Rick Nekus <solarux@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)

First, top-posting is discourteous, I think. Probably shouldn't do it.=20
umm? you mean me ? -sorry I was just tryin' to help.
Secondly, I run FreeBSD-current ... and those OSS drivers say they're for F=
reeBSD-6. Will they work?
geez, I'd say try it, "pkg_add" is a good start,...contibutions are more th=
an welcome, I wish you success in that.> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 14:49:16 -0=
500> From: chuckr@chuckr.org> To: solarux@hotmail.com> CC: freebsd-multimed=
ia@freebsd.org> Subject: Re: sound documentation for the snd_hda (Nvidia)> =
> Rick Nekus wrote:> > Hi,> > I had an Asus P5B-Deluxe (Intel Quad-core,...=
 AD1988b onboard audio)> > -it has the same audio chipset as yours> > yes, =
they are different boards, but (at that time) I had to use the OSS > > driv=
ers from:> > http://www.4front-tech.com/freebsd.html (read the install howt=
o)> > and it worked great for me.> > (but all I wanted was good quality ste=
reo ;)> > -of course, this depends on "exactly" what you want out of it ? a=
nd if > > you're already aware of this,... ah well.> > First, top-posting i=
s discourteous, I think. Probably shouldn't do it.> > Secondly, I run FreeB=
SD-current ... and those OSS drivers say they're > for FreeBSD-6. Will they=
 work?> > Well, regardless, I was looking at the code in hdac.c (part of th=
e > snd_hda driver) and comments refer to t he fact that the driver is not =
> in it's final form, that it's virtually guaranteed to change to a more > =
structured buss system. Is the code for the intended final > implementation=
 entered yet into cvs? Not in final form, I know, that's > obvious, it's no=
t yet that far along, but if anything at all has been > done, I would very =
much like to see what is meant by the comments I > found. I might like to c=
ontribute, if I can wrap my noggin around it> > Or should I have asked on t=
he FreeBSD-current list?.> > > > > hope this helps.> > > > Rick.> > > > > D=
ate: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:15:59 -0500> > > From: chuckr@chuckr.org> > > To: =
FreeBSD-multimedia@freebsd.org> > > CC:> > > Subject: Re: sound documentati=
on for the snd_hda (Nvidia)> > >> > > Chuck Robey wrote:> > > > I have a As=
us motherboard, a Striker Extreme, which has a Nvidia> > > > chipset, and t=
he Analog Devices 1988b IC. What I'm getting at is, I'm> > > > not getting =
all that I could be getting out of it, and I want to know> > > > more about=
 the hardware and software that I'm using. I was > > wondering if> > > > th=
e folks who originally write the snd_hda driver, that's only for the> > > >=
 Nvidia & Analog Devices hardware? What documentation did they work > > wit=
h> > > > to write that driver?> > > >> > > > Nvidia sells *something* (and =
I know precious little about that> > > > *something*) that's supposed to im=
prove the sound system. I don't want> > > > to pay Asus for it until I know=
 whether or not it's needed for the> > > > FreeBSD driver, or if having it =
could help me in any way > > whatsoever. If> > > > it would help, Id buy it=
, but until I know that, I really hate feeling> > > > like a prize chump, p=
aying them for Windows software that I'd never > > make> > > > use of (I ne=
ver run any M$ software).> > > >> > > > More than just that, I want & need =
whatever docs were used to form the> > > > snd_hda driver. I'd really, real=
ly appreciate any info on that you > > have.> > > >> > >> > > Oh, I just fi=
nally realized this isn't a Nvidia thing, it's Intel, My> > > mothergboard =
is Nvidia 680 based, so I'd assumed, but you know the stopy> > > about assu=
me, right? Well, I fihnally ran down a couple of big pdfs> > > from Intel o=
n this, and I have my reading time all set for myself.> > >> > > Now, all I=
 need is to find the same stuff out about ... oh, not again,> > > this time=
 zi google a bit longer first.> > >> > > > Thanks.> > > > _________________=
______________________________> > > > freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org mailin=