Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rhett Monteg Hollander <victorysoldier@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suspend on HLT problem

Hello all,
just recently I've noticed some strange thing going
with FreeBSD on some SMP box.

After some period of time (about an hour, for
example), keeping this box booted into FreeBSD and
staid just powered on, generally doing nothing (no
background or foreground tasks), both CPUs appeared to
be very
hot (touching heatsink I could figure about 60-70C).
But kernel was compiled with 'options CPU_SUSP_HLT',
so FreeBSD had to halt both CPUs for quite a long
time, thereby keeping them cold.

I recompiled the kernel again and again, no
difference. Then I made a uni-processing kernel, and
booted it for an hour. First (BSP) CPU was still hot,
however about 50C, while second (AP) was obviously
cold. I can somewhat explain why BSP CPU was hot not
so much than in SMP mode, because both CPUs use the
same cooling system, but I have no explanation why it
was still hot.

Finally, I installed Linux and even Win2000 to see any
difference. And in both cases, both CPUs were really
cold, not exceeding 30-35C.

I don't know what's going on. Either suspend on HLT
algorithm is not effective, or it's broken at all.
Anyone with SMP box can test it simply by booting up,
turning coolers off and waiting at least for half an
hour. If I'm wrong, your box won't hang up ;)

Rhett

P.S. FYI, 1) my brain probably performs fine, so
          2) I don't live in Central Sahara, hence
	  3) room temperature was 23C :)