Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:33:11 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stripping a.out binaries

You can use 'strip -aout <fname>' to strip it.  As far as I know, there
is currently no way to specify the executable format to 'install -s'.
I haven't tried it, but you might be able to use the OBJFORMAT or
OBJECT_FORMAT (not sure which form is correct) environment variable to
make install DTRT for aout.