Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 13:57:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ppp

I now have ppp working, but not the nameserver, and I'm kinda at a loss
as what to do next.  Until this point, I had two machines with no
internet connectivity at all, so I had no worries as numbers.  I used
numbers I had found as listed useable for not-connected networks.  I
called the domain cbr (my initials) and the names journey2 (192.168.64.1)
and n3lxx (my ham license, 192.168.64.2).  My nameserver had no need to
know about the world, and it doesn't.

My namedb setup uses db.cbr for the cbr domain. db.127.0.0 for reverse
mapping locally, db.192.168.64 for reverse mapping the cbr domain, and
db.root for telling about the n3lxx nameserver.

I really don't know how to tell the system it should recognize the
outside world, while still allowing it to know about the two local
machines.  nslookup doesn't know about the three nameservers I know about
on campus, so it can't query them.

How can I set the network up so that it can know about my local machines
as well as the world?  Do I finally need to register my machines with the
NIC?  The NIC wouldn't do it before I had connectivity ...

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!