Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:11:02 +0800
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@svzserv.kemerovo.su>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PERL_THREAD

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:30:01PM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:

> > 1. When PERL_THREAD be revived?
> When it is properly stable in Perl (ie, when the perl developers
> stop acting embarassed about it)
> > 2. Why such serious change of functionality was done nearly silent?
> Because as near as we could work out, threaded Perl was as close to
> non functional as makes no difference, and on asking, we could find
> no-one using it.

Well, perhaps it is non functional for some tasks, but DBD::ODBC linked
with Openlink's UDBC SDK runs perfectly. Anyway, there might be
"HEADS UP" for such serious change.

> You are the first user of threaded Perl that I am aware of. :-)

We manually reversed patches that disable threaded perl and compiled
recent 4-STABLE with PERL_THREAD=yes. Our service is restored and runs fine.

> > Now we have solution of downgrading to RELENG_4_3 but what will be in the
> > near future when RELENG_4_4 will be forked from RELENG_4_4_RELEASE if latter
> > won't support PERL_THREAD?
> Why don't you use the port? ports/lang/perl5

This is a workaround but quite expensive. Why having two copies of perl
if perl 5.005 runs well?

Eugene Grosbein