Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 01:44:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Colin Beck <beck@7thdesign.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp troubles

--0-599951585-924241481=:22060

Hello-

I have been messing around with ppp for about a week now, and while I can get
it to connect manually, I cannot get it to make a connection automatically by
using the /etc/ppp.conf file. When I connect manually, this is what my ppp
session looks like:

myname#
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON myname> term
Working in interactive mode
Entering terminal mode.
Type `~?' for help.
AT
OK
ATE1Q0
OK
ATDT4401595
CARRIER 26400

PROTOCOL: ALT

CONNECT 115200

login: beck
Password:
ppp ON myname> Packet mode.
PPP ON myname> add 0 0 HISADDR
PPP ON myname>

When I try to connect using 'roseneta' in /etc/ppp.conf, this is what my ppp
session looks like:

myname# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON myname> dial roseneta
Warning: Add route failed: 0.0.0.0: errno: Network is unreachable
Dial attempt 1 of 1
Phone: 4401595
dial OK!
login OK!
ppp ON myname> Packet mode.
ppp ON myname>
ppp ON myname>

The modem never goes into packet mode, and hangs (or is hung up on) just
before the last 'ppp ON myname' promt is displayed.

When using the rosenetb entry (ppp ON myname> dial rosenetb), the ppp session
looks identical to the one above, except the modem does not hang up for some
time. It still will not go into packet mode when using rosenetb, though.

I have attached my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file, where you will find the default
options as well as the roseneta and rosenetb entries.

I would be extremely greatful if you could offer my any insight as to what the
problem is.

Colin Beck

--0-599951585-924241481=:22060
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--0-599951585-924241481=:22060--