Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:49:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        Thomas Good <tomg@nrnet.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beware of UnixWare 7

On Friday, 18 June 1999 at 20:38:08 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 08:54:44AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> 	[[ ... ]]
>>
>> I've tried twice more to install UnixWare.  It makes all the right
>> noises, but on reboot it just hangs.  I'm giving up now.
>>

>    Maybe you should check out Limux 6.0.  I just saw it shrink-wrapped
>    (RedHat + MacMillan[?]) at Costco.  Warehouse chain.

I can't use that to develop UnixWare software.

In fact, I *did* install (Debian) Linux on the system, just to make
sure that it wasn't some silly boot problem.  I also installed NetBSD,
all on the same partition (overwriting the previous ones, of course).
NetBSD had the nicest install, but Debian was alright as well, though
it's a pain that Linux needs one (Microsoft) partition per file system
or swap.  Both NetBSD and Linux installed and booted fine.  They also
booted from CD-ROM, while UnixWare required no fewer than 3 boot
floppies, which had to be made from the CD-ROM.

Greg