Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:21:22 +0200
From:      David =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sieb=F6rger?= <drs@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ROCK SOLID Disk Management

On Mon 2002-08-12 (16:32), Parker Brown wrote:
> I believe I have more problems than two, but thank you.  I had no idea that I
> was "sending HTML," but the attachment was supposed to have be the five line
> output of a     df     command showing that some 108% of my 1700 Mb /usr
> slice had been allocated, and I was wondering how that had happened.  I guess

That's by design.  A portion of each UFS partition (8%, by default)
is reserved for use by the operating system and the root user.  df(1)
does not count that space when calculating the "Capacity" column, so
it can exceed 100%.  Also, you'll notice that the "Blocks" column is
always greater than "Used" + "Avail", usually by a factor of 8%.

For more details, look up the -m option in tunefs(8).

--
David Siebörger
drs@rucus.ru.ac.za