Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 23:25:10 -0300
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Latest on ' HEADS UP: loader broken'

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Your surmise about loader.4th is correct, I believe.
>
> The alpha's boot1/loader from after your commits seems to boot my PC164 just
> fine with the older loader.4th, but chokes on the new one.
>
> The relevant diffs in loader.4th are:
> --------
> 49a50,52
> >
> > 256 dictthreshold !  \ 256 cells minimum free space
> > 2048 dictincrease !  \ 2048 additional cells each time
> --------

Oh... This is *NOT* what I expected!

> Can you say what additional memory load for this, and in whay area, this
> should be? If it's stack, then we're probably screwed at the moment. If it's
> heap storage, that's probably fairly easy to fix (although I'm kind of
> *appalled* that we'd be using > 512KB of heap for the loader).

It's allocated from heap. It's a malloc call. I'm not sure what the hell
is taking so much space on loader.4th stuff. The initial dictionary size
is about 10000*sizeof(void*) (and I note there is a comment to be
fixed...). That above increases it by 2048*sizeof(void*) whenever the
available space is below 256*sizeof(void*) at the beginning of a new
definition. This space does not include the memory used to store the
settings read from the loader.conf files.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	wow regex humor... I'm a geek