Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:40:06 +0100
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cross build world on amd64 install on ppc

Hi all,

I learned that building a kernel for powerpc on amd64 is straight forward:

make -j4 buildlernel TARGET_ARCH=powerpc  KERNCONF=GENERIC
make installkernel TARGET_ARCH=powerpc  KERNCONF=GENERIC DESTDIR=/tmp

Then I tar this kernel and scp it to the powerpc machine. Fine.

I do this because building a kernel on amd64 takes 4' while on my ppc
box it takes about one hour.

Now I'd like to do the same for 'buildworld'.

I have taken the approach to nfs export the /usr/src and the /usr/obj
from the amd64 to the powerpc machine.

Here I fail when try to do 'make installkernel'. The 'install' binary is
an ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64. Yes, this does not work on powerpc :)

First, is this possible to do a buildkernel/buildworld on an amd64 for
powerpc and then install it on powerpc?

Is the nfs approach dead wrong?

If it is possible to do a cross buildworld how do I install it on the
ppc machine?

Thanks for any pointers.
Andreas