Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:06:49 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automated Scripts

* Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu> [001030 09:04] wrote:

> > > the file, is it possible to put perl scripts into rc.d as well?
> >
> > It _looks_ possible:
> >
> > case ${local_startup} in
> > [Nn][Oo] | '')
> >        ;;
> > *)
> >        echo -n 'Local package initialization:'
> >        for dir in ${local_startup}; do
> >                if [ -d "${dir}" ]; then
> >                        for script in ${dir}/*.sh; do
> >                                if [ -x "${script}" ]; then
> >                                        (set -T
> >                                         trap 'exit 1' 2
> >                                         ${script} start)
> >                                fi
> >                        done
> >                fi
> >        done
> >        echo .
> >        ;;
> >

> Given this line right here:
>
>           for script in ${dir}/*.sh; do
>
> It looks like all you would have to do is add another identical for
> loop and add something similar... For instance if all your perl scripts
> ended in .pl...

Well you don't need them to end with .pl, having the perl interpreter
magic is sufficient, you can name a perl script foo.sh as long as you
have the interpreter line set.

If you wanted to you could make a .sh that was a /bin/sh script that
would just run a .pl that's in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/something.pl.

> for script in ${dir}/*.pl; do
>
> Yes, yes I know that is supposed to be for older perl libraries but in
> this case...
>
> Just one question, where did this snippet come from?

/etc/rc

:)