Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:08:33 -0600
From:      "Kelly, Brian" <bkelly@uwsp.edu>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3com 3c905c

I have an 3com 3c905C card which supports wake on lan. This system has =
all the right pieces in
place i.e. PCI 2.2, Bios has wake on PME enable, etc. I've used these =
cards for years at work=20
and have tested this system by throwing in M$ XP (no flames please) and =
sending it a WOL=20
Packet waking the system up with success.
However, in my dealings with FreeBSD 5.3. I've have a system with a live =
nic (flashing lights)=20
but no response to the wol Magic Packet.
After doing a little research I found that WOL via a Magic Packet =
requires the nic driver to=20
"program the PowerMgmtEvent register to enable the desired wake up =
event" during a power down.=20
Not being a C programmer I'm lost in the if_xl.c source.
I suspect one of two problems. Either the xl driver doesn't support the =
wol options or=20
something is amiss during the shutdown process and ACPI is to blame. If =
anyone could offer=20
some advice on how to troubleshoot this issue I would appreciate it.
=20