Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:12:23 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slightly OT: Standard LVD and Ultra 160 cables

On Tue, 14-Nov-2000 at 15:01:59 +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> The problem could be the SCSI case tho.
>
> I think there are not much difference between a U2 and U160 SCSI
> cacble, only the latest has more strict characteristics (like Cat5
> Ethernet cable opposed at Cat 5 E).
>
> With a short cable, just any cable will do, with long cable or bad
> luck it becomes very strict on the type of cable/connectors.
>
> Now is the transfer rate exactelly 80MB/s? If this is the exact
> figure, I would suspect a miss configuration somewhere, one of the
> device is not U160.

OK, this is the configuration:

        2m cable
29160 ------------- SCSI case - Terminator

In the SCSI case there are about 2m cable again with 8 connectors.
Three of them are used with IBM DDYS-T18350N S93E drives.

So we have a total of three IBM DDYS-T18350N S93E drives on a 4m cable.
This should be well within the spec.

I used to run them with 160MB/s but experienced problems under load.
Now I have set the speed to 80MB/s in the Adaptec BIOS and the
systems runs without any problem.

The case is told to be 160MB/s capable but the cable now appears
in the dealers catalog as a 80MB/s type. It was 160MB/s before :-(

	-Andre