Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 96 20:55:53 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jkh@freebsd.org, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: It isn't easy being "green"...

> 8-).  It's *illegal* in the US to tamper with this if you are getting
> the tax break for the green-ness hardware (it's called "tax evasion").

Nope. The tax break only requires a certain percentage of machines to be
"green." And "green" machines are only supposed to save energy while
inactive.  Clearly, if you're installing an OS on the machine or using it
to run tasks constantly or frequently (as UNIX does), it's legitimate (in
fact, essential) to keep the hard drive spun up.

> Hope you aren't audited -- does the EPA read this list? 8-).

I'm really scared. (Especially since I -- like most owners of these
machines -- am not big enough to get the tax break in the first place.)