Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 12:10:13 -0700
From:      Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
To:        Jamie <jamie@gnulife.org>, "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <lapinski@crd.ge.com>
Cc:        "'jeremy@cableaz.com'" <jeremy@cableaz.com>, <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Server out of space -- Need suggestions

One way, is to setup a very reliable disk server system and export the mail
spool as NFS.  This box will do nothing but dish up files.

Then, plug in a couple of mail servers with dedicated 100Mbit or 1Gbit ports
to that NFS box.

The mail servers then mount /var/mail from the NFS server.

If the NFS server goes down, you're hosed, but because its behind another
layer and not directly on the internet, its not as susceptible to attack.

There is some kind of BSD fail-over tool too, that brings up a second box on
the IP if the first box fails.

On 10/7/02 12:12 PM, "Jamie" <jamie@gnulife.org> wrote:

>   What other suggestions do you have for building a reliable mailserver?
> And is there a way to set up a couple of servers so that if one goes down,
> the other automatically takes over with the same mail spool if possible?
> We also need to re-engineer here, and I would like to take that into
> consideration. Thanks!
>

> - Jamie
>

> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Lapinski, Michael (Research) wrote:
>

>> A practice ive usually taken is to keep the dirs
>> where a lot of space is used on different physical
>> devices and keep them redundant (raided /var/spool).
>>
>> -Running a real mail server off of a 1 hard disk
>>  install isn't wise. (What happens when your 1 disk
>>  mail server loses its disk?)
>>
>> -keeping system bins and config on the same physical
>>  device with data that is constatly causing reading
>>  and writing to disk (new mail coming in, old mail deleting)
>>  isnt a good idea either. As the disks for this take
>>  more abuse than the disk that just has the system installed
>>
>>  I think you need to architect a real mail server instead of
>>  trying to rescue what you currently have.
>>
>> -mtl

>> Michael Lapinski
>> Computer Scientist
>> GE Research
>>

>> "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
>>             - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology
OpenAccess Internet Services