Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 20:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GUI hackers question about toolkits

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> I have been looking at graphics tool kits to use to write a program. I
> have considered tcl/tk, lesstif, qt. (The basic X tool kit is too bland.)
> Any toolkit I use must be freely available. It must not encumber any
> software I create using the tool kit.

tcl/tk: I liked tk, but not tcl, and from what I've heard, the perl
bindings to tk aren't very good. Interpreted, but it can go to Win32
without killing you.

lesstif: a little better than raw X or Xt programming, but I don't have
enough experience to comment further. The only toolkit listed that lives
under Xt, if you have any other Xt widgets you want to use, though Qt and
gtk+ have a limited ability to have Xt childeren, I *THINK* (never tried
it, so I'm not sure).

Qt: Not freely available for non-freely available projects, but designed
to be object oriented from the ground up. Will soon have drag-and-drop.
With a commercial license, can be recompiled for Win32. The one thing I
don't like about Qt is that it was originally a you-manage-it toolkit,
where you did everything by pixel placement.  They have geometry
management now, but it still feels awkward, almost an afterthought.

gtk+: GPL (or is it LGPL?) toolkit, Not quite as mature as the rest, but
coming along well. What impresses me the most about gtk+ is that the
bindings for various languages tend to feel right for that language,
though not perfect. You can even use gtk-- (C++ bindings for gtk+, much
more than just a thin wrapper) and subclass widgets at the C++ level and
the bindings automatically translate them into correctly subclassed gtk+
widgets, quite a trick, really.