Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:02:43 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Should we boot the FreeBSD kernel in ELF format or in zImage format ? How?

--00000000000021c269060afd0a2c

On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 4:41=E2=80=AFAM Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.=
com>
wrote:

> Hello to everyone.
>
> we have just virtualized Debian 12 on our arm (32 bit) Chromebook. As hos=
> / dom0 we have chosen Devuan 5,and for guest / domU,Debian 12. It works
> great. But our goal is different. We want to virtualize FreeBSD as domU.
> Can we have a working Xen PV network driver for a FreeBSD arm guest ?. I
> found that Julien Grall has ported the Xen drivers to FreeBSD on arm. I
> would like to know if Julien's work was accepted upstream by FreeBSD, in
> which case FreeBSD as a Xen guest on arm should work if we enable the Xen
> PV drivers in the FreeBSD on arm kernel. If Julien's work was not accepte=
> upstream by FreeBSD, we will have to find his patches and apply them
> ourselves to the FreeBSD on arm kernel.
>
> We found these slides :
>

> https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/Porting%20=
FreeBSD%20on%20Xen%20on%20ARM%20.pdf

> Slide 13 refers to a XENHVM FreeBSD on arm kernel config - that is what w=
> want to find.
>
> It looks like when that slide presentation was written, there were some
> limitations on FreeBSD Xen guests. For example, for our debian bookworm
> guest, I am using vcpus =3D '2' to match the number of real cpus on our
> Chromebook, but slide 13 mentions support for only 1 VCPU with a FreeBSD
> guest, so I will need to change that vcpus =3D '1' in the FreeBSD guest
> config unless support for 2 or more vcpus was added later, which is
> possible because that slide presentation is 9 years old.
>
> Here is where I would expect to find the XENHVM FreeBSD on arm kernel
> config file:
>
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/sys/arm/conf
>
> But it is not there unless I am not understanding something correctly. Fo=
> now, unfortunately conclude that the support for Xen on arm that Julien
> Grall mentioned in that slide presentation 9 years ago was never added to
> the official FreeBSD source code. I am searching the web now to see if th=
> patches that Julien Grall wrote are still posted somewhere online. If we
> cannot find them, we can ask here and on the xen-users mailing list. Juli=
en
> regularly reads that list and responds to question about Xen on arm, so I
> think he will tell us how to find the patches if we cannot find them onli=
ne.

> According to this page from the FreeBSD wiki:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xen
>
> I think FreeBSD only supports Xen on x86, not arm. So this is going to be
> a bit of a challenge to get a Xen FreeBSD guest on arm working. We know
> Julien Grall has some patches that made it work in the past !
>
> I found a slightly newer slide presentation by Julien here:
>
> https://www.slideshare.net/xen_com_mgr/bsdcan-2015-how-to-port-your-bsd
>
> It is about the same, but it mentions the GENERIC FreeBSD kernel supports
> Xen on arm64, but still says we need the XENHVM FreeBSD config for Xen on
> arm 32 bit, which I haven't found online yet.
>
> Please,take a look at this output of the linux kernel that can boot on
> Xen, and the FreeBSD kernel that cannot :
>

> % file zImage-6.1.59-stb-xen-cbe+
> zImage-6.1.59-stb-xen-cbe+: Linux kernel ARM boot executable zImage (litt=
le-endian)

> % file FREEBSD-XENVIRT
> FREEBSD-XENVIRT: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), =
dynamically linked, interpreter /red/herring, for FreeBSD 11.0 (1100048), n=
ot stripped

> The FreeBSD kernel that won't boot is in ELF format but the Linux kernel
> that does boot is in zImage format.
>
> I spent time reading the docs on xenbits.xenproject.org, and according to
> those docs Xen on arm only knows how to boot a kernel in the zImage forma=
t,
> so the FreeBSD kernel is in a format that modern Xen incorrectly detects =
as
> an x86 kernel.
>
> I also watched Julien Grall's 30 minute video presentation of his work to
> boot FreeBSD/arm on Xen at FOSDEM 2014 here :
>
> https://archive.fosdem.org/2014/schedule/event/freebsd_xen_arm/
>
> In that video, and in other places, Julien mentions that the boot ABI for
> FreeBSD/arm on Xen was not yet developed and he was getting occasional
> crashes and needed to investigate the problem. He mentioned the zImage AB=
> that Linux uses, but pointed out FreeBSD does not use that format, and ba=
ck
> then it was an open question which format to use to boot FreeBSD/arm on
> Xen. Unfortunately, nine years later, the only supported format is still
> the zImage format that Linux uses.
>
> It looks like Julien's work back then was using an ELF binary to boot
> FreeBSD/arm on Xen instead of the supported zImage format that Linux uses
> and the modern Xen toolstack exits with an error when trying to boot the
> FreeBSD ELF formatted binary that Julien's patch creates. So the best
> solution would be to try to port the rules to build a FreeBSD kernel in t=
he
> zImage format instead of the ELF format. I have been studying the Makefil=
es
> in Linux to see how Linux builds the Linux arm kernel in the zImage forma=
t,
> but it is not trivial to understand

Look at kernel.bin in FreeBSD's kernel. It's enabled -DWITH_KERNEL_BIN. It
should be easy to adapt the target to build that. I've done similar things
with u-boot formats in the past, but that was 4 employers and 20 years ago
now.

This path is not well trod. I do know that arm64 virtualization with bhyve
is hitting the tree. I'm not sure how easy/hard this will be to modernize.
I'm interested to see how your explorations go.

Warner

--00000000000021c269060afd0a2c

AM Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto2008@gmail.com">marietto200=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
32 bit) Chromebook. As
 host / dom0 we have chosen Devuan 5,and for guest / domU,Debian 12. It=20
works great. But our goal is different. We want to virtualize FreeBSD as
 domU. Can we have a working Xen PV network driver for a FreeBSD arm=20
guest ?. I found that Julien Grall has ported the Xen drivers to FreeBSD
 on arm. I would like to know if Julien&#39;s work was accepted upstream by=
=20
FreeBSD, in which case FreeBSD as a Xen guest on arm should work if we=20
enable the Xen PV drivers in the FreeBSD on arm kernel. If Julien&#39;s wor=
 was not accepted upstream by FreeBSD, we will have to find his patches=20
and apply them ourselves to the FreeBSD on arm kernel.</p>
s/Porting%20FreeBSD%20on%20Xen%20on%20ARM%20.pdf" rel=3D"nofollow noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/file=
s/slides/Porting%20FreeBSD%20on%20Xen%20on%20ARM%20.pdf</a></p>
we want to find.</p>
some limitations on FreeBSD Xen guests. For example, for our debian=20
bookworm guest, I am using vcpus =3D &#39;2&#39; to match the number of rea=
l cpus=20
on our Chromebook, but slide 13 mentions support for only 1 VCPU with a=20
FreeBSD guest, so I will need to change that vcpus =3D &#39;1&#39; in the F=
reeBSD=20
guest config unless support for 2 or more vcpus was added later, which=20
is possible because that slide presentation is 9 years old.</p>
nfig file:</p>
ow noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/tree/sys/arm/=
conf</a></p>
correctly. For now, unfortunately conclude that the support for Xen on=20
arm that Julien Grall mentioned in that slide presentation 9 years ago=20
was never added to the official FreeBSD source code. I am searching the=20
web now to see if the patches that Julien Grall wrote are still posted=20
somewhere online. If we cannot find them, we can ask here and on the=20
xen-users mailing list. Julien regularly reads that list and responds to
 question about Xen on arm, so I think he will tell us how to find the=20
patches if we cannot find them online.</p>
get=3D"_blank">https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xen</a></p>;
to be a bit of a challenge to get a Xen FreeBSD guest on arm working. We
 know Julien Grall has some patches that made it work in the past !</p>
t-your-bsd" rel=3D"nofollow noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.slide=
share.net/xen_com_mgr/bsdcan-2015-how-to-port-your-bsd</a></p>
supports Xen on arm64, but still says we need the XENHVM FreeBSD config=20
for Xen on arm 32 bit, which I haven&#39;t found online yet.</p>
<pre><code>% file zImage-6.1.59-stb-xen-cbe+
zImage-6.1.59-stb-xen-cbe+: Linux kernel ARM boot executable zImage (little=
-endian)

% file FREEBSD-XENVIRT         =20
FREEBSD-XENVIRT: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dy=
namically linked, interpreter /red/herring, for FreeBSD 11.0 (1100048), not=
 stripped
</code></pre>
he Linux kernel that does boot is in zImage format.</p>
g" target=3D"_blank">xenbits.xenproject.org</a>, and=20
according to those docs Xen on arm only knows how to boot a kernel in=20
the zImage format, so the FreeBSD kernel is in a format that modern Xen=20
incorrectly detects as an x86 kernel.</p>
rk to boot FreeBSD/arm on Xen at FOSDEM 2014 here :</p>
m/" rel=3D"nofollow noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://archive.fosdem.or=
g/2014/schedule/event/freebsd_xen_arm/</a></p>
 for FreeBSD/arm on Xen was not yet developed and he was getting=20
occasional crashes and needed to investigate the problem. He mentioned=20
the zImage ABI that Linux uses, but pointed out FreeBSD does not use=20
that format, and back then it was an open question which format to use=20
to boot FreeBSD/arm on Xen. Unfortunately, nine years later, the only=20
supported format is still the zImage format that Linux uses.</p>
 FreeBSD/arm on Xen instead of the supported zImage format that Linux=20
uses and the modern Xen toolstack exits with an error when trying to=20
boot the FreeBSD ELF formatted binary that Julien&#39;s patch creates. So=
=20
the best solution would be to try to port the rules to build a FreeBSD=20
kernel in the zImage format instead of the ELF format. I have been=20
studying the Makefiles in Linux to see how Linux builds the Linux arm=20
kernel in the zImage format, but it is not trivial to understand</p></div><=
in FreeBSD&#39;s kernel. It&#39;s enabled -DWITH_KERNEL_BIN. It should be e=
asy to adapt the target to build that. I&#39;ve done similar things with u-=
boot formats in the past, but that was 4 employers and 20 years ago now.<br=
 virtualization with bhyve is hitting the tree. I&#39;m not sure how easy/h=
ard this will be to modernize. I&#39;m interested to see how your explorati=

--00000000000021c269060afd0a2c--