Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:30:04 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
To:        kientzle@acm.org
Cc:        das@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Environment Poisoning and login -p

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:54:31AM -0800, Tim Kientzle wrote:
[...]
> Possible fix:  Have login unconditionally discard LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> and LD_PRELOAD from the environment, even if "-p" is specified.
[...]
> Possible fix: Eliminate the "-p" option to login.

I would prefer to redefine `-p' to mean, ``don't discard environmental
variables believed to be safe to propogate''.  We can start with this
list:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/xbd_chap08.html

plus

    EDITOR
    KRB5CCNAME
    LOGIN
    MAILDIR
    SSH_AGENT_PID
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK
    TERMCAP

If that is too draconian for you, then I guess just drop /LD_.*/.

Put the `environment cleaner' in libutil.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@freebsd.org