Date:      Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:21:47 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
Subject:   Re: mmap busted in 4.3?

On 04-Dec-2001 Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>       I have applied Søren Schmidts fix(1) for this to my -stable system with
>  a VIA KT133A/686B (Jetway 663AS MB) and it has fixed my sure fire test case
>  (dd if=/dev/ad0 of=/dev/null bs=1024k - would crash after about 20Gb and
>  make
>  funny noises rather earlier -  now runs smoothly to the end of the 30Gb
>  drive).

I made a patch from the -current code for -stable and tried it. It fixed the
data corruption (I was copying data between to 80Gb drives and I would be hard
pressed to get 2 copies correct in a row). However the patch appears to make
the machine rather unstable :(

I can't get a crashdump since I stuffed up making the swap partition <sigh>
However since the machine appears to hang rather than crash I don't think that
I would get a crashdump anyway.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum