Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:46:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, wosch@de.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Wolfram Schneider wrote:

> No problem. We are running Unix ;-)
>
> cvs -Q co -p ports/INDEX |
> 	awk -F'|' '{print $2}'| sort  > /tmp/now
> cvs -Q co -p  -D'last week' ports/INDEX |
> 	awk -F'|' '{print $2}' |  sort > /tmp/lastweek
> comm -13 /tmp/lastweek /tmp/now
>
> This print all ports which was added last 7 days. It is fast
> and easy. For last 4 weeks, change 'last week' to 'last month'.

Except that the INDEX file is updated on a very ad-hoc basis.

But, if I have a copy of the ports tree checked out on freefall,
then I can generate a new INDEX on a regular basis.  Because of
the current irregularity, I may opt for this anyway.

However, just using the INDEX file will fail in detecting many
updates because only a few selected bits of the Makefile are
reflected the INDEX.  With a checked out ports tree, I'll have to
dig through the CVS directories to discover the most recent date
change. Maybe the Makefile target that generates INDEX could do
this?  Hmmm....

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================