Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:58:56 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

At 9:16 PM -0600 2/5/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>The only file in /etc/ that is normally modified is /etc/motd.
That depends on your treatment of master.passwd and the default
locations for some of the other deamons (like xntpd)

>> The problem is that "/" has to be writeable.
>
>It does?  Why?  (I've run with / readonly just fine)

When I tried it, I couldn't mount anything on top of it.
Besides, I still want to be able to supply the /etc/directory
remotely.  That way, I can have a number of identical systems
that get configured quite differently.

Richard Wackerbarth