Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2013 06:14:17 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com>
To:        John Refling <netbsdrat@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rare, random issue with read(), mmap() failing to read entire file

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On 2013-Nov-15 18:56:09 -0800, John Refling <netbsdrat@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm having some very insidious issues with copying and verifying (identica=
l)
>data from several hard disks.  This might be a hardware issue or something
>very deep in the disk / filesystem code.  I have verified this with several
>disks and motherboards.  It corrupts 0.0096% of my files, different files
>each time!

My gut feeling is that this is a hardware issue.  Since you've tried
different systems, that would seem to rule them out.

Have you tried different USB enclosures/cables/etc?  I'm never comfortable
running disks over USB.

Are you able to try ZFS?  It inherently checksums data and should quickly
show up any hardware issues.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS