Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:37:40 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan@promo.de>
To:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Cc:        hm@kts.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: TCP checksum errors resulting from IP addr change

On Fre, 28. Aug 1998 11:15 Uhr -0400 sbabkin@dcn.att.com wrote:

> Sorry for a stupid question, but may it be related somehow to the
> header compression mode ? I'm not sure about the PPP compression but
> for SLIP these symptoms would clearly indicate that one side is
> working with compression while another one is working without
> compression. The SLIP compression works on a per-connection
> basis, so datagram packets and the TCP SYN packets are always not
> compressed - so ping works and you can establish the connection,
> but following TCP packets have their headers compressed by
> removing the redundant information that can be restored from previous
> TCP packets, so they would appear broken if the other side works
> in other mode. It may be that PPP is using something like this
> (and it also has 2 different compression modes).

You could be right, but in this case, you aren't. It's no question of Van
Jacobsen TCP header compression (this isn't particular to SLIP, but used in
PPP indeed), but instead of wrong IP adresses in the headers.

VJ compression works in isppp, AFAIK.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18