Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:08:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, sue@welearn.com.au, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VT100 (was: PCVT's death)

>> (1) Don't resize or move the window, or access the menus, unless you
>> don't expect to be receiving data during the operation.  The
>> temptation is great to resize to full screen during the MOTD, but if
>> data arrives while you're fiddling with this, then the telnet client
>> will be put in a bad state.  (It looks like a ring queue gets out of
>> sync, but I could be wrong.)
> Actually, the events are lost.

That's curious, since that would seem that you would lose characters.
Instead, characters are sent at approximately the same speed, just
lagging behind.  For example, in this failure mode, after running
'ls -l' you may be left with (as the last few lines):

-rw-r--r--  1 root      joelh        6067 Apr 13 09:59 worm-stat.out.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 joelh     joelh         922 Apr 12 20:06 worm-stat.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 joelh     joelh         283 Apr 12 18:20 wormtest
drwxr-xr-x  3 joelh     joelh         512 May

Then, you transmit another command, and you receive the trailing bit
that got left off, and most of your next command:

-rw-r--r--  1 root      joelh        6067 Apr 13 09:59 worm-stat.out.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 joelh     joelh         922 Apr 12 20:06 worm-stat.pl
-rwxr-xr-x  1 joelh     joelh         283 Apr 12 18:20 wormtest
drwxr-xr-x  3 joelh     joelh         512 May  1  1997 xdcmt
detlev$ ps -ax | grep v0
  237  v0  IWs    0:00.00 (bash)
  364  v0  S+     2:27.00 emacs
 3489  v2  R+     0:

This has been my experience, at least.

> The easiest way to get a "full screen" is to make a shortcut icon,
> and then select "start maximized" on the "Properties..." panel.

That is true.  Remember, I'm usually doing this on-site, so making a
shortcut icon is not practical.

>> (2) Upon first logging in, type 'export TERM=vt100 ; stty rows 25' or
>> your shell's equivalent.  (On some machines, notably HP/UX systems,
>> the stty will fail.  On these machines, use 'export TERM=vt100
>> LINES=25' instead.)
> You can use the X "resize" command, IFF you set your terminal type to
> "xterm" in FreeBSD, even though the terminal emulation type you have
> selected is (nominally) a VT100.
> Oh yeah: DON'T make it more than 43 lines long.  If you do, you will
> get screen buffer corruption.

I wouldn't know.  I was more referring to the idea of connecting to a
wide range of Unixes, some without X.  Thanks for the alternative,
tho!

>> If you really want to go all-out, maybe you should use X.
>> Implementations for both 95 and NT availible.
> The VNC code apparently works well, both to NT and 95, and *from* them
> (for displaying NT or Win95 sessions on an X server).  They are missing
> specific code on the Windows NT/95 "server" (not in the X sense, in
> the telnetd sense) to follow window focus, which would be a big win
> when going that direction, but X response on the NT/95 boxes doing
> a remote view of ":1" on a FreeBSD box was more than acceptable.

Not familiar with VNC.  Pointers?

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan
   Fourth law of programming: