Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:10:43 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port of ext2fs fsck

OK for starters, a disclaimer:

I have nearly zero experience with Linux.

..but I would guess that it is naming the disk much like BSD does, with
hdb1...hdb4 being the four bios partitions (BSD slices) and hdb5 and up
being the logical DOS-style partitions inside the other "DOS extended
partition(s)".  I believe Linux does make use of DOS "extended partitions"
in this way.

If this is true your RH /usr would be /dev/ad1s6, I think.  The entry in
/dev might not yet exist, though.

At 12:26 12/23/1999 -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
>Is there such a beast?  This would be a big big help to those who
>administer Linux boxes from FreeBSD machines.  And, it would make
>life easier for those of us who dual-boot with FreeBSD and
>Linux.  Basically, I'd like to see a port of e2fsck in the ports
>collection.
>
>Also, I had this weird problem in the past.  See, I've got
>another IDE disk on my primary slave IDE controller (1.1 GB).  I
>installed RedHat Linux on there.  Basically, that disk had 3
>Linux partitions:
>
>120M 		/	/dev/hdb1
>120M		swap	/dev/hdb5
>~800MB		/usr	/dev/hdb6
>
>Don't ask;  the RedHat installer partitioned it this way.
>Anyhow, when I do fdisk /dev/rad1, FBSD's fsck only sees 2
>partitions.  Partition one is the 120M / partition, which I can
>mount OK.  But, fdisk claims the 2nd partition is a 920 MB
>extended DOS partition.  Hmmm...  well, it may be that my second
>disk needs low-level formatted or something.
>
>- Donn

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Tom Embt
tom@embt.com