Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:06:04 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   portmaster 1.10 beta available for testing

Howdy,

I have a new portmaster beta ready for testing at
http://dougbarton.us/portmaster.

It's probably worth mentioning that several users have requested a
"continue on fail" mode where portmaster continues installing even
after something fails to build. I looked at this, and the only place
where that would really be useful is in the -a mode, and even there
it's not really that useful, IMO. If someone wants to send me a patch
that implements their idea of this, I'd be glad to look it over.

New Features
============
1. Attempt to avoid the problem of multiple background checksum
processes stepping on each other trying to download the same sets of
distfiles. The most pathological case for this is trying to portmaster
the xorg port on a clean box with no distfiles downloaded. (Brought to
my attention by George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>.)

2. In cooperation with sem and skv, add three new environment
variables that can potentially be used by port authors, etc.
UPGRADE_TOOL contains the name of the tool being used, in this case
'portmaster'. UPGRADE_PORT is the full string for the port that we are
currently upgrading, and UPGRADE_PORT_VER is just the version string
part of that.

3. Collect a list of any pkg-message files that we "saw" while doing
the installs, and display them all at the end when everything is done
installing. (Old idea of mine, and others, most recently prompted by
kris.)

4. You can now do 'portmaster .' if you are in a port directory you
want to install.

Major Fixes
===========
1. Change the code that reads the MOVED file to recurse through the
whole file. This fixes the problem of getting an "answer" to a
find_moved_port() call only to find out that the "new" port has itself
been moved, or deleted. This is not a major problem, but when it
happens it's ugly. The fix slows down the function by about 1/2 second
on my (fairly fast) box, but that function isn't called often, and
it's better to be thorough. (Brought to my attention by erwin.)

2. Remove a change from the last version that caused way too many
false positives from the MOVED file when there was no installed
version of the port.

Minor Cleanups
1. Assign TMPDIR early in the script, and export it to be safe. Change
occurrences of this variable to use the short form.

Enjoy,

Doug

- --