Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:42:57 -0700
From:      Janice McLaughlin <janus@freegate.net>
To:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "'janus@freegate.net'" <janus@freegate.net>
Subject:   Plug and Play naivety

I'm writing a device driver for an ISA card with the Plug and Play
chip on it and have a few questions. (I'm not new to device drivers
but am definately new to ISA and x86 class machines). I'm
runing on 2.2-960801-SNAP.

A search of the archives shows me that at least I'm not alone
in my problems with PnP. I have also downloaded the latest code
from Sujal Patel on freefall.freebsd.org for PnP support.

1. mail from Sujal notes that "if your motherboard supports PnP
devices, then you don't need this code". What does this mean?
I've been told that the BIOS on the machine I'm using has
"Plug and Play" support ... does this mean it's possible that the
BIOS has queried the ISA devices on boot and already has all the
config info? Can I get at this somehow from the kernel? Or is this
only referring to PCI kind of Plug and Play?

2. I notice that the recommendation for other cards (eg: 3c509)
is to turn "off" PnP. That's sounds great ... how do I do that? Is
it card specific? When you do this to a (for example) 3c509, does
it stay off only until the next power up? or is there some NVRAM
somewhere that can store this info so you don't have to reconfig
it each time you reboot?

Thanks alot,
Janice