Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:58:25 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>, Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strtod()

Peter Wemm wrote:

[ ... correction ... ]
[ ... example ... ]

Thanks for both, Peter!  THese should be captured in the handbook!

> (I used -static because the destructor call happens after libc.so has become
> unavailable.. ie: less than useful).
>
> This works for shared objects too.
>
> If this solves the problem at hand, I'd far rather that we used this gcc
> extension than yet more magic inline asm (a different gcc extension).

These should probably be in header files, so that they
can be used generally.

We might want to consider a "thread_begin" and "thread_end",
as well, to create/destroy per thread instance data for
things like libc.

This would be one way of resolving the static buffer/reentrancy
problem, without having to add all sorts of "_r" functions, as
long as everyone was careful not to pass the resulting pointers
between threads (since they would be thread local storage).

-- Terry