Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 11:03:35 +0100
From:      "Andy" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What happened to prompt?

Hi all

I just had the infamous "BTX halted" error.
So, disabling the onboard pci scsi controller
allows it to boot. On reading the archives it
basically appeared to me that running my ide
boot disk in 'dangerously dedicated' mode was
not such a hot idea (as that's the way I set
it up at install time). So, seeing that I always
allow my setup to enable me to reinstall the os
at any time I decided to go to "non" dd mode.

Here's my question then. On the 4.3-RELEASE fdisk
when I select option "A" (use entire disk) it no
longer prompts me whether I want dd mode anymore.
Going back to the 4.2-RELEASE cdrom does however?
What happened to the 'dd' mode prompt in fdisk at
4.3-RELEASE ?? It's still doc'ed that way.

Regards
Andy

ps, for what it's worth I got the "BTX halted" error
after I built a new kernel. The previous kernel worked
fine, the only additional line I added for the new kernel
was "pseudo-device vn". That kernel (and the previous one)
were both built to a cvs snapshot of -stable (22June).
Sys info: dual PIII 550MHz, 1/2Gram, two ide - 13G and 8G,
3x 8G scsi drives (no longer available until I can get past
the BTX halted error.  I'm not looking to raise the issue
of the BTX error here as there is plenty already in the
archives so please don't reply re that error, it's just in
the email for additional info only. The Q above is my puzzle,
where'd the 'dd' prompt go (which is still documented in the
handbook).