Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:49:51 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd

On Mon, Sep 06, 1999 at 02:45:27PM -0400, Rick Knebel wrote:
> Hi, I ahve been using linux for a short period of time, but am
> unhappy with the fragmention. What I mean is all the differnet
> distributions.  I would want to use freebsd for the gateway to the
> internet for my two other computers , a Mac and a Win98 computer.
> I would also what it to act as a mailserver for the other two
> computers.  Would this be any harder to set up in FreeBSD than
> Linux?

No.

> How is the Desktop in FReeBSD.

How do you want it? There are >20 different window managers for
FreeBSD,  including KDE, Afterstep, Windowmaker etc. (I'm a Luddite,
I use OpenLook :) ).

> Could I realistically use it for my home workstation?

Yes, no problem.

> Will things like WP8 run on freebsd?

Yes. FreeBSD runs nearly all Linux binaries. There are even reports
of them running faster under FreeBSD than Linux :)

> I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
>
> Thanks
> Rick
>

> --
> Rick Knebel
> rknebel@uplink.net

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.