Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:03:58 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@blackflag.ru>
To:        memetical@yahoo.com.au (Rudolph Pereira)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfs locking between current and stable

Rudolph,

> I am attempting to get flock/file locking working between my -stable
> (updated ~19 may) nfs file server and -current desktop; the server is
> running lockd/statd, and both my mail client (mutt) and a simple perl
> program complain that files on the nfs server cannot be locked.

NFS locking wasn't implemented in 4.4BSD. There is still no implementation
in STABLE. If you really need it, you may take a look at Terry's page
where an intra-client NFS lock implementation for STABLE could be found:

http://people.freebsd.org/~terry/

If you need the above mentioned patches that apply cleanly to RELENG_4,
take a look at this:

http://www.blackflag.ru/patches/nfs-client-and-server-locking-4.5-STABLE-20020312.diff

It works fine in our production environment and was tested under quite a
heavy load. However, do not miss that this patch doesn't actually implement
lock requests to the server. It only allows for locks being properly held
within a single client. That is, locks for the same file on several
different STABLE boxes *won't* work. Thus, the word "intra-client" :)

Hope this helps.