Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 13:17:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Marc Nicholas <marc@hippocampus.net>
Cc:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCDs...

> > You could also drive the parallel connection on Optrex style
> > controllers through the parallel port.
>
> I would imagine this would become timing sensitive, no?

Not really; most controllers are more than fast enough.  See
/usr/share/examples/ppi for an example using the ppi 'geek port'
interface (in -current) talking to the Hitachi LCD controller.  You
could backport this to 2.2 pretty trivially if you're willing to use
the /dev/io hack.

(I'm available to extend/customise this code at very reasonable rates. 8)

> > We use the I2C bus using the access.bus physical TELCO jack pinout
> > for this because these LCDs and buttons eventually run on
> > microcontrollers.  I like this - it daisy chains well so you can
> > have a button module and a display module and click them together.
>
> <dumb question> How do you get an I2C bus on a PeeCee? Can you fake it
> somehow?

There are serial:I2C adapters I believe, and I2C UART-like devices.

> I'd be interested in references for I2C buttons...or keypads.

I don't have any handy, sorry, but I do recall some pushbuttons with
small LCDs in the button that IIRC used I2C for comms.

> > Check the back of the mag "Circuit Cellar INK The Computer Applications
> > Journal" (circuitcellar.com) for some RS232 displays I know absolutely
> > nothing about (www.matrix-orbital.com).
>
> The Matrix Orbital stuff does indeed look neat, although a little
> expensive for our application.

Far too expensive, and more or less unnecessary for lots of
applications.  They take an ordinary parallel-interface display and put
another board containing a micro on the back.  Cheaper to do the work
yourself.