Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 18:37:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      iverson@raw.lionheart.com
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Domain based routing?

Freebsd-net folks,

I am curious if y'all can stear me to something in FreeBSD or one of
the ports for setting up routing based on domains -- something like
this:

  if0: LAN (has router0 with WAN to internet on it)
  if1: PPP to internet

  route to if1 and bring up PPP if traffic is for domain foo.com
  route to router0 for anything else

I could manually setup static routes for foo.com, but that seems
excessively tedious and prone to error should routing information
change (foo.com is huge, too).  I'm hoping someone else has already
done something similar to this and can just say, "Yeah, use the XXX
feature of gated (or better, routed)".

FYI, foo.com is not the PPP-ISP, and in fact, I want stuff for the
ISP to take the if0 path.  Also, my host won't be advertising any
routes or forwarding stuff bewteen if1 and router0.  I just need to
direct some traffic to a different interface based on domain.

Thanks,

- Tim Iverson
  iverson@lionheart.com