Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:05:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS: new sample code

> sometimes we will be mounting filesystems off disks formatted by other
> systems.
> For those partitions we must obey hte bad-block hadling that they use or
> we will read garbage.
>  a genenriv 'perfection' layer could of course be layered above any disk
> tht couldn't do it's own badblock mapping, or left of if it could, and
> even if it could, it may be used to resurect a diskk with more badblocks
> than teh manufacturer can handle.

The correct place for a perfection layer is at the lowest level.  But
because of theings like DOS not understanding perfection layers, and
legacy systems, where the disklabel itself is not allowed to have bad
sectors, etc., the perfection layer must move for legacy reasons.

This is a difference between ideal and legacy.

So I definitely support Julian's point here... perfection is where you
find it.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---