Date:      Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/28522: The ability to crash any freebsd box with 8 lines of shell script

The following reply was made to PR misc/28522; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 18:13:50 +0100

 > But is it really ineffective?  Just five instances of 'cat' would
 > consume quite a lot of kernel resources (fake read, fake write, two
 > syscalls, data copies to userspace and back...).

 If you allow you users to use resources of any sort then they can
 use them - you can't get around that. Some people have done things
 with fancy schedulers which split CPU time between uids as opposed
 to between processes - this might be of some help.

 (Mind you, you can do far worse in terms of making the system
 unresponisve than running 5 processes by just using 1 process and
 a few standard shell commands, and that's just what I can think of
 off the top of my head.)

 	David.